| Lauren Piester 28. September 2015 – 21:18
That was actually a lot of fun.
At first, Trevor Noah just looked wrong in that Daily Show chair, but literally ten seconds later, we were already feeling like he’d been there forever, and then we never wanted him to leave.
Seriously, that was delightful. In fact, the whole thing was over way too quickly.
Here are some of our favorite jokes from tonight’s debut:
1. “Jon Stewart was more than just a late night host. He was often our voice, our refuge, and in many ways, our political dad, and now it’s weird, because dad has left. And now, it feels like the family has a new step dad, and he’s black, which is not ideal.”
2. “It turns out that Comedy Central did ask women to host, and the women they asked turned the job down, because they all had better things to do and clearly knew something I didn’t. Also, why didn’t they get an American to host? Again, Comedy Central tried, and those people also declined. So once more, a job Americans rejected is now being done by an immigrant.”
3. “Seeing as this is my first show, we wanted to start it off with something a little light, so here we go…Syria!”
4. “Finally, popemojis, for when you want to inject just the right amount of confusion into your late night sexting. Sup girl, you up? Because eggplant, winky face, cartoon pope likes cheesesteaks. Good luck figuring that one out!”
CLICK: Get to know Trevor Noah
5. “Hates inequality and climate change, loves immigrants, he’s like a young Bernie Sanders!”
6. Weighing in on the pope’s Fiat: “Oh, that’s a tiny car. Somebody’s undercompensating. I’m saying the pope has a huge c–k…and what a waste.”
7. Senior congressional correspondent Jordan Klepper joined the show to talk about John Boehner’s resignation, but very quickly, it became clear that they were talking about a different Jo(h)n, and Jordan was on his way to a total breakdown.
“The desk is different, there’s a new font, I mean nobody asked me! I just bought a condo. Why’d I buy a condo?!”
8. “Don’t worry California, they’ll find water on you too someday.”
9. Senior Mars correspondent Roy Wood Jr. absolutely killed it with his first segment bemoaning the water discovery on Mars. We’d honestly quote every word, starting with “I can tell you I don’t give a s–t” when asked what he can tell us about the discovery, if we had the time. “A brother can’t catch a cab, you think he can catch a spaceship?” Welcome, Roy. Please stay forever.
All in all, that was a solid first show, including a friendly interview with Kevin Hart. It did, at times, feel like Trevor was rushing to please us and speeding through his jokes, but we enjoyed them all the same, and we’re looking forward to more.
We’ll always miss Jon Stewart, but this guy might just turn out to be a suitable replacement.
What did you think? Head to the comments to weigh in!
Where are Daily Show correspondents now?